Bread. Is there anything better? Warm, fresh bread can heal the soul. And there is no better bread than my Uncle's Crack Bread. It is easy to make, has minimal ingredients and is fool proof. If I can make it, you certainly can! The instructions are straight forward, with no unnecessary or pretentious steps.
And this stuff is addictive. It is grown up candy. It is keto's worst nightmare! This bread has a crisp crust with an airy, soft center. And the possibilities for using this recipe are endless! Make one large loaf to cut into slices. Divide the dough into four small round loaves, hollow them out and use them as bread bowls. ORRRR make dinner rolls by dividing the dough into 8, and when they are finished baking immediately cover them with a tea towel while they cool to soften the crust.
A few notes for this recipe....I use home-style bread flour, but whatever you have on hand will work just fine. I also use warm water instead of cold so that yeast isn't 'shocked'. Apparently this also ensure the yeast activates faster and more effectively. Resulting in a better rise. And I use quick rise instant yeast, simply because I have it on hand for other recipes. But, because you are going to leave it to rise overnight, quick rise is not necessary. And if you want to be fancy.... you can always score the top of the loaf with a few lines just before baking.
Ha! Look at me.... pretending like I know what I am talking about.
Uncle C's Incredible Crack Bread
-3 cups flour
-1/2 tsp yeast
-1 3/4 tsp salt
-1 1/2 cup water
- If you have a stand mixer with a dough hook, add all ingredients to the mixer and turn it on to low. Allow the mixer to work the dough until a ball forms and it is no longer sticking to the sides of the bowl.
- If you do not have a stand mixer, whisk all the dry ingredients together. Then begin slowly adding the water, working the dough with your hands and kneading until a ball forms.
- Lightly oil a large bowl and make sure you get all the way to the top. This will ensure that, once risen, the dough won't stick to the bowl. Do not be afraid to use your hands. You will thank me later.
- With your still oily hands, transfer the dough from the mixing bowl into the oiled bowl and cover tightly with plastic wrap. Oily hands will make sure the dough doesn't stick to you!
- Allow dough to rise in the bowl for 8-12hrs (overnight). It will triple in size.
- When ready to bake, place your dutch oven with lid into the oven and preheat to 450f.
- While the oven is preheating, pour dough out onto a heavily floured counter and form into a nice round ball.
- Cover dough with plastic wrap on counter until the oven is preheated.
- Once the oven is preheated, place ball of dough into the hot dutch oven and cover with lid.
- Bake for 45mins. And.... VOILA!
- If you want a crispier crust, bake for 30mins covered and uncover for the last 15 mins.